What is Trojan:Win32/Cosmu
Windows Defender may have informed you of this virus threat by alerting you that it had discovered the specific malware on your computer. These detections are Windows' alarm signals informing you of any hazardous content it has spotted.
If it alerts you that you have a malicious virus on your system, you should not ignore it and take appropriate action to protect your device
These threats are often acquired through spam emails, infected websites, or by clicking on a link in an email. Once installed on the computer system, Trojan:Win32/Cosmu will begin to spread across your PC via Windows System files.
This allows them to access all of the information on your computer and even take control of it. Such threats should not be kept around the computer that is why Windows Defender will keep on alerting you about the malware until you take action on it.
Here are the symptoms that users who have their devices infected with Trojan:Win32/Cosmu it are most likely to experience.
- Sudden problems with internet connection and applications
- Freezing or slowdowns in computer performance
- Difficulties opening documents or accessing files.
- Unusual popup-ads appearing online or when browsing.
- Overheat and high CPU usage.
Detections like these are particularly dangerous because it can be used to attack other users online by stealing their privacy credentials, financial information, and more.
If you think that you may have been affected by this specific type of virus, then it is important to remove it as soon as possible.
Since the detection name format matches how the built-in antimalware tool describes its discovered threats, Windows Defender is particularly the one that found the Trojan:Win32/Cosmu from the computer.
Typically, Windows Defender would be enough to eliminate the threat it found on the computer and you would have only needed to click the quarantine button to remove it.
Unless certain circumstances prevent Windows Defender to eliminate the said malware, you may utilize Malwarebytes Anti-malware to remove it for you.
Please follow the given instructions below to remove the detected threat from your system.
How to Remove Trojan:Win32/Cosmu
You can fix the threat detection issue on your device using the steps provided below. What we share is proven and tested so that we guarantee that it will work for you.
Step 1: Enter Safe Mode with Networking
Safe mode is important because it allows you to troubleshoot any problems that may be preventing your computer from operating properly which in this case is a malware. This mode will allow users to find and identify malicious threats easily since it only uses essential drivers and software.
In order to launch Windows Safe mode with networking, click Windows button + R simultaneously to open the run dialog box.
Once the run box is open, type msconfig.exe to open the Microsoft system configuration window.
After the system configuration window has opened, click on the Boot option, tick Safe boot, and then select the option below that indicates Network. You should then be booted into safe mode with networking after clicking apply.
Once you are in the Safe mode, you may now proceed to the next step below which is to remove the malware from the computer system.
Step 2: Use Malwarebytes to Remove Trojan:Win32/Cosmu
This program is one of the most effective anti-malware programs available. They have some of the greatest threat detection software, ensuring that any unwanted threats on your computer are totally eliminated.
If Windows Defender cannot remove the threat, you can utilize this antivirus program to complete the task. Furthermore, even if Trojan:Win32/Cosmu is completely removed from the computer, we recommend that you run a complete scan just in case.
1 Visit the antivirus website or click the button above to download the most up-to-date version of the software that best suits your requirements.
2 Follow the software installation instructions until they are completed.
3 Run a complete malware scan on the machine and wait for it to finish.
4 All the detected threats found on the computer will be shown on the screen and clicking the "quarantine" button to remove them.
Trojan:Win32/Cosmu, as well as any other harmful threats discovered on the computer, should be eliminated once the process is complete. We also recommend to use Malwarebytes Real Time Protection, which will secure your machine and detect any threats as soon as they appear.
Tips to Keep Your Device Safe
- Never download software or programs from unknown sources. This is one of the most popular ways for adware and other malware to infiltrate your computer. Download only from recognized and legal sources. To be secure, avoid torrent downloads and cracked software download sites, as the files will almost always contain viruses.
- One of the most reliable ways to be safe online is to use a firewall. It protects users from potentially hazardous websites by acting as a first line of protection. It keeps intruders out of the user's network and device. In today's world, a firewall will protect a user from the risks that lurk on the huge internet.
- Anti-virus software must be kept up to date. These programs should always be updated on a computer since hundreds of new malware threats are produced every day that aim to infect the machine's weaknesses. Antivirus updates contain the most recent files needed to combat new threats and protect your computer.
- Only visit websites that has a secured connection. A site with HTTP connection does not encrypt the data it receives and therefore is not considered secure. Entering personal information such as email addresses, phone numbers, and passwords on a website with an HTTP connection is risky since it could be compromised and your information stolen. Websites with HTTPS connections, on the other hand, are secure since data is encrypted and attackers are unlikely to gain access to information exchanged within the site.