PUP.Optional.Legacy is the term used by AdwCleaner when detecting potentially undesirable programs (PUPs) that have not yet been categorized.. It can perform many actions on the computer such as steal data, track your sessions and show unwanted advertisements.
Windows Defender, as well as other antivirus may have scanned this threat from your system and typically it could remove it with ease as well. But if it was unable to remove the virus, you may follow the given procedure below.
This type of computer threat typically spread in the same way that most viruses do. PUP.Optional.Legacy can infiltrate a computer system in a number of methods, but the following are the most typical ones:
Spam email attachments: It is the most common and widely used strategy. It deceives the intended recipient into downloading malicious software that is attached to the attackers’ email. The files are either bundled together or disguised as documents, movies, and voicemails in the attachments.
Drive-by Download: It occurs when a person visits an infected website that has been injected with a malicious script that causes a random piece of software to be downloaded. Hackers can then use these flaws to obtain unauthorized access to targets’ systems once they’ve been clicked.
Torrent files: It is used by millions of pirates all over the world to obtain pirated movies and records, as well as cracked versions of premium software. If you’re downloading from a torrent site, it’s worth checking the file extension because it’s usual to find that a pirated movie or music is contaminated with a virus if it’s in the.exe format. Moreover, torrent files should be scanned for malware after download.
On the off chance that the built in Windows security cannot remove PUP.Optional.Legacy or the different detection name it uses. You may utilize Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to handle the removal of the threat.
The procedure below will assist you in removing PUP.Optional.Legacy as well as any computer dangers lurking in the system.
Use Malwarebytes to Remove PUP.Optional.Legacy
This program is one of the most effective anti-malware programs available. They have some of the greatest threat detection software, ensuring that any unwanted threats on your computer are totally eliminatedIf Windows Defender cannot remove the threat, you can utilize this antivirus program to complete the task. Furthermore, even if PUP.Optional.Legacy is completely removed from the computer, we recommend that you run a complete scan just in case.
- Using your preferred web browser download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Visit the antivirus website (click here) and download the most up-to-date version of the software that best suits your requirements.
- Follow the software installation instructions until they are completed.
- Run a complete malware scan on the machine and wait for it to finish.
- All the detected threats found on the computer will be shown on the screen and clicking the “quarantine” button to remove them.
PUP.Optional.Legacy, as well as any other harmful threats discovered on the computer, should be eliminated once the process is complete. We also recommend to use Malwarebytes Real Time Protection, which will secure your machine and detect any threats as soon as they appear.
Tips to Keep Your Device Safe
- Never download software or programs from unknown sources. This is one of the most popular ways for adware and other malware to infiltrate your computer. Download only from recognized and legal sources. To be secure, avoid torrent downloads and cracked software download sites, as the files will almost always contain viruses.
- One of the most reliable ways to be safe online is to use a firewall. It protects users from potentially hazardous websites by acting as a first line of protection. It keeps intruders out of the user’s network and device. In today’s world, a firewall will protect a user from the risks that lurk on the huge internet.
- Anti-virus software must be kept up to date. These programs should always be updated on a computer since hundreds of new malware threats are produced every day that aim to infect the machine’s weaknesses. Antivirus updates contain the most recent files needed to combat new threats and protect your computer.